Beer-Cheese Football Cupcakes
Prep: 40 minutes
Bake: 20 minutes
Cool: 45 minutes
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup beer (whichever you would like)
1/2 cup butter
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
2 cups packed dark brown sugar
1 recipe Bacon-Cheddar Cream Cheese Frosting (which we will get too)
18 chocolate-covered almonds
1 tube white decorating frosting or gel
Finely crumbled cooked bacon (optional)
1. Line thirty 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. (Tip: If you don't have enough muffin cups or if all the cupcakes do not fit in the oven at once, store the remaining batter in the refrigerator while the first batch bakes.)
2. In large bowl, combine flour and baking soda. In bowl lightly beat eggs; stir in sour cream and vanilla.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large saucepan heat beer and butter over medium-high heat until butter is melted. Stir in cheddar cheese. Remove from heat; whisk in brown sugar, stir in egg mixture. Fold in flour mixture (batter will appear lumpy). Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about three-fourths full.
4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on wire racks.
5. Frost cupcakes with Bacon-Cheddar Cream Cheese Frosting. If desired, sprinkle with bacon. For football garnish, pipe stitch markings onto almonds with white decoration frosting to resemble a football. Place a decorated almond on each cupcake. Makes 30 cupcakes.
Bacon-Cheddar Cream Cheese Frosting:
Allow one 8 oz package cream cheese and 1/4 cup unsalted butter to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
In large mixing bowl beat cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
Stir in 3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese. Beat in 4 cups powdered sugar until frosting reaches spreading consistency.
If desired, stir in 1 cup finely crumbled cooked bacon.
Happy Football everyone :)